Herbal Information for Organic Black Walnut in Powder Form
Common Name: Black Walnut Hulls
Botanical Name: Juglans nigra
Other Names: Black Walnut, American Walnut
Other Ingredients: None, nothing has been added to this product.
Package Size: One Pound (1lb)
Form: Powder, Organic
Dosage: Consult your healthcare professional for correct dosage.
Origin: United States
Brand: Starwest Botanicals
- Do not use if pregnant or nursing: Don’t apply black walnut to the skin if you are pregnant or breast-feeding. This topical use might be unsafe. It’s also best to avoid oral use. Not enough is known about the safety of taking black walnut by mouth during pregnancy or breast-feeding.
- Prolonged use is not advised due to the presence of significant quantities of juglone, a known mutagen in animals.
- Contain walnuts. Do not use if you have a nut allergy or sensitivity.
- This substance is known to be toxic in animals. Prolong use is not recommended.
- Black walnut might be unsafe when applied to the skin. It contains a chemical called juglone that might cause tongue or lip cancer, especially if applied daily.
- Medications taken by mouth (Oral drugs) interact with Black Walnut.
About Black Walnut
Components: VITAMINS AND MINERALS
- Ca .89% Fe .00021
- P .77 Mn 182 Mg/lb
- K .87 Cu tr
- Na tr Zn tr
- Cl .14 Iodine .32 Mg/lb
- Mg .12 Sulfur .088
- mucilaginous material 3.6%
- essential oil 0.3 1%
- nucin (sometimes called juglon)
- oxalic acid
- tannins .72%
- gallic acid
- eqaliic acid
The black walnut is actually the seed of the Juglans nigra, a northern hardwood tree that grows to as much as 100 feet in height. The black walnut is covered with a green pulp until autumn, when it falls to the ground and turns black. Black Walnut Hull is the shell, or coating of the nut inside. It has long been important in Russian folk medicine as well as that of India and Pakistan, where it is known as akhort. Dried Juglans nigra may be taken in a capsule or used to create a tincture or liquid extract; however the taste is quite bitter.
Check out our How to Use Bulk Herbs page to see how to use herbs correctly. Our web page is constantly expanding, as of today we have articles on:
- How to make salves, poultice, tinctures, teas, capsules, gargles, and foot bathes
- How to make a citrus facial splash
- Cayenne pepper: Caterpillar and aphid spray ( Natural insect repellent )
- Citrus potpourri basket
About Starwest Botanicals Quality Control
Starwest Botanicals validated quality assurance testing includes:
• Organoleptic testing to ensure proper appearance, color, aroma and flavor.
• Microscopic and Macroscopic inspection for foreign matter.
• HPTLC for identification, to verify purity and authenticity.
• ICP-MS heavy metal analysis.
• Microbiology testing for pathogens such as E. coli and salmonella.
• Chemical analyses for moisture content, volatile oil, ash and acid insoluble ash.
Audits all suppliers yearly to assure they meet our GMP requirements
Samples are retained from all shipments are thoroughly tested and compared to our extensive reference library of dried herbs and botanicals to verify authenticity. All lot samples are kept for five years and can be traced for verification.
Starwest Botanicals utilizes not only their in-house laboratory, but also independent labs and consultants to guarantee their analyses are complete. Testing includes organoleptic analysis for aroma, color, flavor and texture. Physical testing involves moisture, volatile oil content, heavy metals, microbiology, thin layer chromatography, and other tests specific to each herb.
Be the first to
Leave a Review
DetailsCurrent Stock:SKU: 209156-51Global Trade Item Number: 767963099853Manufacturer Part Number 209156-51Condition: NewAvailability: Usually ships in 1 business day.Width: 8.00 (in)Height: 12.00 (in)Depth: 2.00 (in)