Herbal information of Organic Burdock Root in Bulk Cut Form
Common Name: Burdock Root
Botanical Name: Arctium lappa
Channels/Meridians: Lung, Stomach
Other Names: Arctium Lappa, Gobo, Great Burdock Root, Cocklebur, Beggar's Buttons
Other Ingredients: None, nothing has been added to this product.
Package Size: 1 pound (1 lb)
Form: Certified Organic Cut and Sifted
Dosage: Follow doctors instructions on how to use this herb.
Brand: Starwest Botanicals
Cautions: Do not use if pregnant or nursing. Do not use if on blood thinner medication. Do not use if allergic to chrysanthemums or ragweed. Do not use if taking diuretics.
Naturally Occurring Components: The polyacetylenes in burdock inhibit the growth of bacteria and fungi. Burdock contains copper, iron, manganese, sulfur, biotin, zinc, iron, amino acids, mucilage, and vitamins B1, B6, B12, and E.
Additional Information for Burdock Root
Benefits of Burdock Root
- Botanical support for normal elimination of fluid
- Supports the Lymphatic System
- Benefits the Circulation
- Is a natural diuretic
- Aids in Digestion
- Promotes Urinary Tract Health
- Burdock contain Inulin, not to be confused with Insulin
- As a folk medicine, it is used to benefit a sore throat.
- Use Topically as hair care
Product Properties: Acrid, Bitter, Cold
What does a Burdock Root Look Like?
- It is somewhat long like a carrot, but a tan color not orange colored.
- When sliced the inside of the burdock is lighter in color.
- Do not buy Burdock root which is covered in bruises
How to use Burdock Root?
Add to soups, much like you would add carrots to a soup or stew.
Boiled and mashed with a small amount of butter and pepper
Pickled Burdock Root is tasty
Can be brewed into a fermented drink
In Japan it known as gobo.
Botanically, burdock belongs to the family of Asteraceae; in the genus of Arctium, and known scientifically as Arctium lappa.
Nutritional Facts about Burdock Root
Principle Nutrient Value Percentage of RDA Energy 72 Kcal 3.5% Carbohydrates 17.34 g 13% Protein 1.53 g 3% Total Fat 0.15 g <1% Cholesterol 0 mg 0% Dietary Fiber 3.3 g 8% Vitamins Folates 23 µg 6% Niacin 0.300 mg 2% Pantothenic acid 0.321 mg 6% Pyridoxine 0.240 mg 18% Riboflavin 0.30 mg 2% Thiamin 0.010 mg 1% Vitamin A 0 IU 0% Vitamin C 3 mg 5% Vitamin E 0.38 mg 2.5% Vitamin K 1.6 µg 1% Electrolytes Sodium 5 mg <1% Potassium 308 mg 6.5% Minerals Calcium 41 mg 4% Iron 0.80 mg 10% Magnesium 38 mg 9% Manganese 0.232 mg 10% Phosphorus 51 mg 7% Selenium 0.7 mg 1% Zinc 0.33 mg 3% Phytonutrients Carotene-α 0 µg -- Carotene-ß 0 µg -- Crypto-xanthin-ß 0 µg -- Lutein-zeaxanthin 0 µg --
See the table below for in depth analysis of nutrients:Burdock root (A. lappa),raw, Nutrition value per 100 g.
(Source: USDA National Nutrient data base)
Check out our How to Use Bulk Herbs page to see how to use herbs correctly. Our web page is constantly expanding, as of today we have articles on:
- How to make salves, poultice, tinctures, teas, capsules, gargles, and foot bathes
- How to make a citrus facial splash
- Cayenne pepper: Caterpillar and aphid spray ( Natural insect repellent )
- Citrus potpourri basket
About Starwest Botanicals Quality Control
Starwest Botanicals validated quality assurance testing includes:
• Organoleptic testing to ensure proper appearance, color, aroma and flavor.
• Microscopic and Macroscopic inspection for foreign matter.
• HPTLC for identification, to verify purity and authenticity.
• ICP-MS heavy metal analysis.
• Microbiology testing for pathogens such as E. coli and salmonella.
• Chemical analyses for moisture content, volatile oil, ash and acid insoluble ash.
Audits all suppliers yearly to assure they meet our GMP requirements
Samples are retained from all shipments are thoroughly tested and compared to our extensive reference library of dried herbs and botanicals to verify authenticity. All lot samples are kept for five years and can be traced for verification.
Starwest Botanicals utilizes not only their in-house laboratory, but also independent labs and consultants to guarantee their analyses are complete. Testing includes organoleptic analysis for aroma, color, flavor and texture. Physical testing involves moisture, volatile oil content, heavy metals, microbiology, thin layer chromatography, and other tests specific to each herb.
Traditional Chinese Herbs
Chinese Traditional herbs should be regarded as an added feature to modern western healthcare, and not as a replacement. Chinese traditional herbs (Teas) emphasize harmony, and balance.
Blumenthal M, Busse WR, Goldberg A, et al, eds. The Complete German Commission E Monographs. Therapeutic Guide to Herbal Medicines. Boston, MA: Integrative Medicine Communications; 1998:318.
Be the first to
Leave a Review
DetailsCurrent Stock:SKU: 209175-31Global Trade Item Number: 767963023643Manufacturer Part Number 209175-31Condition: NewAvailability: Usually ships in 1 business day.Width: 8.00 (in)Height: 12.00 (in)Depth: 3.00 (in)