Herbal Information for Wildcrafted Elderberries in Whole Berry Form
Common Names: Black-berried European elder, Boor tree, European elder, German Elder, Elderberry, Elderberries
Botanical Name: Sambucus nigra
Other Ingredients: None, nothing has been added to this product.
Package Size: 4 oz.
Form: Whole Berries, Wildcrafted
How to Use Elderberries: Eat them raw, make into a tea, process into a syrup, bake with them, produce a tincture
Dosage: Consult your healthcare professional for correct dosage.
Brand: Starwest Botanicals
Caution: Do not use if pregnant or nursing.
Benefits of Elder berries
- Promotes Heart Health
- Phytotherapy Research revealed that high fiber levels in elderberries help eliminate excess cholesterol from the system
- Supports Immune System
- Benefits Respiratory System
- Benefits a Sore Throat
- A research study in the Journal of International Medical Research: flu patients who were given a dosage of elderberry syrup recovered in 3-4 days earlier than those who were not given these supplements.
- The active antioxidant ingredients in elderberries work directly on the pancreas to regulate insulin and glucose levels.
- Elderberry studies have shown that these little berries have great benefits when used during air travel to reduce respiratory issues.
- Black elderberries for example, are well known to be supportive agents against common cold and flu like symptoms and have been used for centuries
( Roxas M., Jurenka J. Colds and influenza: A review of diagnosis and conventional, botanical, and nutritional considerations. Altern. Med. Rev. 2007;12:25–48. [PubMed])
Sambucus nigra, the name of the plant that produces Elder berries, is a large deciduous shrub that bears dark black berries. Sambucus nigra hails from Europe, and also originates from southwest Asia and northwest Africa. Our producer in Croatia keeps us well supplied with Elder berries. Other common names for Sambucus nigra include Black Elder, European Elder, Common Elder, Black-berried European Elder, boor tree and German Elder. The plant produces flowers in the summer, and the fruit comes on in the late fall months of the year. The small dark berries hang in clusters off the large shrub, and are attractive to birds who flock to the plants for late season food.
Hippocrates referred to the elder tree as his “medicine chest.”
Researchers at the Department of Virology at Hebrew University-Hadassah Medical School, concluded that the berries are very efficacious as a flu treatment:
“Symptoms were relieved on average 4 days earlier and use of rescue medication was significantly less in those receiving elderberry extract compared with placebo. Elderberry extract seems to offer an efficient, safe and cost-effective treatment for influenza.”
People love to eat the berries as well, and often serve them cooked in pies and jams, as well as in elderberry wine. According to some sources the berries can be toxic to some if eaten raw, however. The berries have also been used in times past as a dye or a flavoring. Bulk Elder Berries are commonly used for their antioxidant qualities, and are a good source of Vitamins A and C.
Check out our How to Use Bulk Herbs page to see how to use herbs correctly. Our web page is constantly expanding, as of today we have articles on:
- How to make salves, poultice, tinctures, teas, capsules, gargles, and foot bathes
- How to make a citrus facial splash
- Cayenne pepper: Caterpillar and aphid spray ( Natural insect repellent )
- Citrus potpourri basket
About Starwest Botanicals Quality Control
Starwest Botanicals validated quality assurance testing includes:
• Organoleptic testing to ensure proper appearance, color, aroma and flavor.
• Microscopic and Macroscopic inspection for foreign matter.
• HPTLC for identification, to verify purity and authenticity.
• ICP-MS heavy metal analysis.
• Microbiology testing for pathogens such as E. coli and salmonella.
• Chemical analyses for moisture content, volatile oil, ash and acid insoluble ash.
Audits all suppliers yearly to assure they meet our GMP requirements
Samples are retained from all shipments are thoroughly tested and compared to our extensive reference library of dried herbs and botanicals to verify authenticity. All lot samples are kept for five years and can be traced for verification.
Starwest Botanicals utilizes not only their in-house laboratory, but also independent labs and consultants to guarantee their analyses are complete. Testing includes organoleptic analysis for aroma, color, flavor and texture. Physical testing involves moisture, volatile oil content, heavy metals, microbiology, thin layer chromatography, and other tests specific to each herb.
Be the first to
Leave a Review
DetailsCurrent Stock:SKU: 201430-04Manufacturer Part Number 201430-04Condition: NewAvailability: Usually ships in 1 business dayWidth: 3.00 (in)Height: 5.00 (in)Depth: 5.00 (in)Maximum Purchase: 1 unit