Herbal Information for Organic Valerian Root in Cut Form
Common Names: Wild Valerian, German Valerian or English Valerian
Other Names: Garden valerian, all-heal, cut-finger, and garden heliotrope
Botanical Name: Valeriana wallichii
Certified Organic: Certified kosher and organic
Other Ingredients: None, nothing has been added to this product.
Package Size: One pound
Form: Organic Cut / Sifted
Dosage: Consult your healthcare professional for correct dosage.
Brand: Starwest Botanicals
Caution: Do not use if pregnant or nursing.
California Prop 65
Additional Information about Valerian Root
- One is that valerian increases the amount of gamma-aminobutyric acid GABA in the brain. GABA is a naturally occurring amino acid that works as a neurotransmitter in your brain which can lead to better and sleep. Valerian is an herb that’s commonly used as an ingredient in sleep aid supplements as a result of its calming properties.
Benefits of Valerian Root
- Supports restful sleep
- Promotes a centered calmness
- Aids in emotional well-being
- Temporary relief of anxiety
- Promotes women's health
- Often used as a tea
Valerian Tea: To make valerian tea, add 2 to 3 grams of dried valerian root (roughly 1 to 2 teaspoons) to one cup of hot water and allow to steep for 10 to 15 minutes.
Valerian Root tincture:
Add 1 ounce of dried valerian root by weight to a 16 ounce jar. Pour the alcohol, 5oz of 120 proof or higher, over the valerian root, then cover the with a lid and shake it well. If desired, write the start date on the jar using a sticky note, label, or piece of tape – be sure to steep it.
Place the jar in a dark, room temperature area. Let the mixture steep for 3-5 more weeks. Be sure to shake occasionally.
When it’s ready, strain the mixture through a cheesecloth, making sure to squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Pour the tincture in a clean jar or dropper bottle and store it in a cool, dark area.
Check out our How to Use Bulk Herbs page to see how to use herbs correctly. Our web page is constantly expanding, as of today we have articles on:
- How to make salves, poultice, tinctures, teas, capsules, gargles, and foot bathes
- How to make a citrus facial splash
- Cayenne pepper: Caterpillar and aphid spray ( Natural insect repellent )
- Citrus potpourri basket
About Starwest Botanicals Quality Control
Starwest Botanicals validated quality assurance testing includes:
• Organoleptic testing to ensure proper appearance, color, aroma and flavor.
• Microscopic and Macroscopic inspection for foreign matter.
• HPTLC for identification, to verify purity and authenticity.
• ICP-MS heavy metal analysis.
• Microbiology testing for pathogens such as E. coli and salmonella.
• Chemical analyses for moisture content, volatile oil, ash and acid insoluble ash.
Audits all suppliers yearly to assure they meet our GMP requirements
Samples are retained from all shipments are thoroughly tested and compared to our extensive reference library of dried herbs and botanicals to verify authenticity. All lot samples are kept for five years and can be traced for verification.
Starwest Botanicals utilizes not only their in-house laboratory, but also independent labs and consultants to guarantee their analyses are complete. Testing includes organoleptic analysis for aroma, color, flavor and texture. Physical testing involves moisture, volatile oil content, heavy metals, microbiology, thin layer chromatography, and other tests specific to each herb.
Be the first to
Leave a Review
DetailsCurrent Stock:SKU: 209609-31UPC: 767963126153Manufacturer Part Number 209609-31Condition: NewAvailability: Usually ships in 1 business dayWidth: 2.00 (in)Height: 2.00 (in)Depth: 5.00 (in)