Herbal Tea Recipes To Help You Sleep
Herbal teas are great alternative to regular green and black teas. They offer a wide variety of vitamins and minerals that can benefit your body.
Agrimony Raspberry St. Johns Nighttime Tea
The herb blend in this tea promotes relaxation and decreased nighttime bathroom visits.
Basic Tea Ingredients: 1 Teaspoon each of the cut and dried leaf:
- St. John’s Wort ( do not use St John's Wort if on any type of antidepressant, nor if you are light sensitive)
- Preferred sweetener
- Add the dried herbs to 1 cup hot water.
- Steep the herbs for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Drink one cup in the evening before bed.
Catnip contains high amounts of the antioxidants vitamins C and E. It also contains phytochemicals, compounds that promote relaxation similar to a mild sedative, soothing the nervous system. Catnip is a potent yet gentle sleep-inducer that calms without next day drowsiness.It is safe enough to be used by children and pets.
- 1 – 2 Teaspoons Dried Catnip
- Preferred sweetener
- Add the dried catnip tea to one cup of water.
- Let steep 4 – 5 minutes. ( If brewed too long the catnip becomes bitter, taste after two minutes to evaluate the taste)
- Drink on cup in the evening before bed. Usually 45 minutes to 1 hour before retiring for the night.
Lavender Evening Tea
Lavender helps you relax and dissolve away the stress of the day. This recipe not only works well as a beverage, but also a bath tea. If used in a bath, do not add the lemon, honey, or any sweetener
- ½ – 1 teaspoon dried lavender (can be overpowering, a bit to flowery - use to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried Lemon Balm leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried Chamomile flowers
- 1 teaspoon dried Scullcap herb
- Preferred sweetener
- Combine the dried herbs in a small air tight container.
- Add 1 – 2 teaspoons of the herb mixture to one cup of warm (not boiling water.
- Let steep 3 to 7 minutes.
- Drink on cup in the evening before bed.
This tea is an excellent relaxation and sleep aid for women. It is also a beneficial tonic to relieve intestinal gas and stimulate digestion
- 1 Teaspoon Mugwort (there are several botanical names for mugwort, in this case we are discussing Artemisia vulgaris)
- Add the dried mugwort to one cup of water.
- Cover and let steep 10 minutes.
- Drink on cup in the evening before bed. If using to aid digestion drink before or after a meal.
Passionflower Relaxation Blend Teas
This herb is well known for its relaxing properties. Combine it with another of your favorites to create a delicious cup of tea. It pairs will with valerian or hops to help you sleep. Choose your favorite blend for a relaxing tea to help you unwind in the evening.
Ingredients: Use equal amounts of each dried herb or flower, store extra in air-tight container.
- Passionflower and Chamomile ( Chamomile may be Egyptian or Roman)
- Passionflower and Lemon Balm
- Passionflower and Mint
- Passionflower and Valerian
- Passionflower and St. Johns Wort
- Use 1 teaspoon of your preferred mixture to 1 cup of boiling water.
- Let the herbs steep for 10 minutes.
- Add honey or cinnamon for a better flavor.
Scullcap and Lobelia Sleep Tea
This combination of these herbs will help to relax tense, achy muscles. You are able to sleep in comfort without tossing and turning to find that elusive comfortable position.
- ¼ cup dried Lobelia
- ¼ cup dried Skullcap
- 1/8 cup dried Lemongrass
- Combine the herbs together, store extra in an air-tight container
- Add 1 teaspoon to a cup of simmered water.
- Steep the herbs for 10 – 15 minutes.
Wild Lettuce Relaxation Tea
Wild lettuce creates a soothing night time tea that promotes healthy joint function, helping you to drift off to sleep. The flavor of wild lettuce is not the most palatable, so it is best to blend with other herbs for a tea. Please note, it is recommended to limit your intake to no more than 3 cups per day to avoid possible toxic effects.
Ingredients: Combine equal parts of wild lettuce and your preferred herb. Store extra in a air-tight container.
- Wild Lettuce and Chamomile
- Wild Lettuce and Lemon Balm
- Wild Lettuce and Mint
- Wild Lettuce and Valerian
- Wild Lettuce and Skullcap
- Wild Lettuce and Lemongrass
- Preferred Sweetener
- Combine 1 teaspoon of herb mixture with 1 cup of almost boiling water.
- Steep the herbs for 10 – 20 minutes.
Consult your doctor before using any of these herbal tea combinations.
Do not use if pregnant.
Rodale's Illustrated Encyclopedia of Herbs - Claire Kowalchik & william H. Hylton Editors
Herbal Healing for Women by Rosemary Gladstar