Hawthorn Berries & Hawthorn Leaf and Flower
Review Hawthorn Berries Forms and Sizes Below
Common Name: Hawthorn Berries
Botanical Name: Crataeguss laevigata
Chinese / Pin Yin Name: Shan Zha
Dosage: Follow your healthcare professional's instructions for correct use.
Precautions: Do not use if nursing or pregnant.
Hawthorn Berries Benefits & Information
Hawthorn Berries is a well known herb in traditional Chinese medicine that supports the cardiovascular system. It also provides botanical support to the kidneys and digestive system.
Properties: Warm, Sweet
Channels: Stomach, Liver Spleen
Hawthorn berries, also known as Crataegus species, are a popular herbal remedy that is used in traditional medicine for a variety of health conditions, including heart disease and digestion issues.
Some common ways to use hawthorn berries include:
- Herbal tea: Dried hawthorn berries can be steeped in hot water to make a tea. This is a simple and easy way to consume hawthorn berries, and can be enjoyed as a hot or cold drink.
- Capsules or tablets: Hawthorn berry supplements are widely available in the form of capsules or tablets. This is a convenient way to consume hawthorn berries, but you should always make sure you purchase your supplements from a reputable source.
- Tincture: Hawthorn berries can also be extracted in alcohol to make a tincture, which can be taken as a liquid extract.
- As a food ingredient: Fresh or dried hawthorn berries can also be used to make jams, jellies, or syrups, or to be added to baked goods, sauces or marinades.
Shan Zha, also known as hawthorn or Chinese hawthorn, is a fruit that has been used in traditional Chinese medicine for centuries.
Here are 10 potential benefits of Shan Zha / Hawthorn Berries:
- Promotes cardiovascular health: Shan zha has been shown to help lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels, which can promote better heart health.
- Aids digestion: Shan zha can help improve digestion by stimulating the secretion of digestive enzymes, which can help relieve symptoms such as bloating, gas, and constipation.
- Boosts immunity: Shan zha is rich in antioxidants and can help boost the immune system by fighting off harmful free radicals.
- Regulates blood sugar: Shan zha has been shown to help regulate blood sugar levels by improving insulin sensitivity, which can be beneficial for people with diabetes.
- Improves sleep quality: Shan zha has a calming effect on the nervous system and can help improve sleep quality.
- Reduces anxiety: Shan zha has been used in traditional Chinese medicine to help reduce anxiety and promote relaxation.
- Promotes weight loss: Shan zha can help promote weight loss by suppressing appetite and aiding digestion.
- Supports liver function: Shan zha has been shown to have a protective effect on the liver and can help improve liver function.
- Anti-inflammatory properties: Shan zha has anti-inflammatory properties and can be used to help reduce inflammation in the body.
- Rich in nutrients: Shan zha is a good source of vitamins C and B, as well as minerals such as calcium, potassium, and iron.
It is important to note that the dosage and frequency of use may vary depending on the individual's condition, and it's always best to consult with a qualified practitioner before taking hawthorn berries or any other herbal supplement. Also, please note that self-medicating with hawthorn berries or any other traditional herbs may have potential side-effects and interactions with other medications or supplements you may be taking, thus always consult with your doctor before trying.
Herbs that Combine With Hawthorn Berries