Heartburn - Combat the Burn
What is heartburn?
Heartburn (other conditions include acid reflux and gastroesophageal reflux disease) is a sensation of warmth or burning beneath the breastbone or in the stomach above the navel. The resulting burning sensation and spasm occur next to (but not in) the heart. Heartburn pain can radiate to the neck and arms, mimicking heart pain caused by angina.
What causes heartburn?
Some things that might cause heartburn include:
• increased stomach acid secretion
• decreased stomach acid secretion
• insufficient digestive enzymes
• overgrowth of Helicobacter pylori
What can I do to help with my heartburn?
There are some things you can do that might help you with your heartburn. These include:
• Eat Some Licorice: Some studies suggest that licorice can help to ease heartburn.
• Chewing Gum: Some heartburn patients get relief by chewing some sugar-free gum for 30 minutes after eating.
• Aloe: Some scientists say that because aloe has anti-inflammatory properties, consuming it might help to ease stomach problems and therefore heartburn.