Most medicinal herbs are sourced from China. With the SARS-CoV-2 Coronavirus in China, you may be wondering about the availability and safety of the medicinal herbs coming out of China. The virus emerged around the time of the Chinese New Year. The new year is a slower time for business in China with many of the factories slowing production or closing for the holiday. The herbal companies we partner with are aware of this yearly event and plan accordingly. As a result, many of the suppliers that we work with had ordered heavily and already had a full stock of herbs available. However, this supply will begin to dwindle in the upcoming months.
China is working to gain control of the virus outbreak. The virus has interrupted not only the factory production of herbal products, but also the cultivation, harvesting , and transportation due to worker illness and quarantines. Movement of people and products have been severely restricted. As people are coming out of the quarantines production is beginning again, however, it is a slow process.
Safety may be another concern for you. We at 1st Chinese Herbs are dedicated to only working with reputable companies that follow the current good manufacturing standards to ensure you receive safe, authenticate and high-quality herbs. What does this mean? Current Good Manufacturing Practices include:
- UV lights to sterilize surfaces at the end of each shift.
- Continuous filtration of air to remove microbial organisms.
- Regular monitoring of temperature and humidity readings throughout the building.
- All workshops cleaned and equipment sanitized between batches.
- All manufacturing utensils sanitized after each use.
- Restricting personnel access to manufacturing areas.
In addition to the Current Good Manufacturing Practices these companies also maintain staff cleanliness practices such as:
- Changing into clean uniforms at the beginning of each sift.
- Scrubbing their hands with soap and hot water.
- Wearing hair covers.
- Wearing gloves.
- Wearing face masks.
- Wearing shoe covers
- Wearing special protective clothing for specific manufacturing tasks.
As herbs become more difficult to obtain, you may find that your preferred form of herb is not available. Powdered herbs in particularly may be more difficult to find. If powder is your preference, consider buying the cut version and making your own powder. Most herbs can be powdered using a good, powerful food processor or blender. You can also try making a tea or decoction and drinking the liquid. A tincture is another option, however, it does take about 6 weeks to make. For more options visit our How To Guides.
Maintaining a healthy immune system is key to protecting your health from any transmittable health threat. Steps to keep yourself healthy can include:
- Make healthy food choices.
- Get plenty of sleep.
- Get plenty of exercise.
- Practice good hygiene. Wash your hands frequently. Use hand sanitizer if unable to wash your hands.
- When out in public, after touching surfaces try not to touch your face, eyes or mouth without cleaning your hands.
- Consider using an herb or herbal supplement to boost your immune system. Some options include Reishi mushroom, Astragalus root, Echinacea, Elderberry, Andrographis, and Jade Screen Teapills.